The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized."

The Television Will Not Be Revolutionized."

Thursday, November 5, 2015

"Fire, Please Don't Walk With Me." Or, "Ewoks Are More Subtle."


For your intellectual edification, the film Fire Walk With Me, reevaluated with some reluctance and surprize, from a desk in the very same city where David Lynch lives they do say. I wrote it in late August. 

(Incidentally, after writing it I was in New York, sitting on one of the plush loveseats in the new Cos on Fifth Avenue,  waiting for my wife to finish clothes shopping. I'd foolishly begun flicking through a copy of Kinfolk, so my blood pressure was very high. In despair I groped for another magazine, amazingly located another $20+ rag, this one with Kyle Maclachlan on the cover. He was talking about the new Twin Peaks TV series ostensibly coming in the next year or two. I was quite impressed by the sheer anality of the interviewer, considering this was of the same class of hipster snotty-superficiality as Kinfolk. The guy was asking Lynch all about "BOB" the demonic spirit who possesses Cooper at the end of the series. Very specific questions. It was like the usually empty superficial style journalist had guiltily let his inner nerd run amok. 

That previous paragraph merely exists as a sort of prose poem, describing a Fifth Avenue vignette otherwise lost forever. It might equally have been a tanka equally but it is not.)

Now follows my revised impressionistic rundown on the Twin Peaks film:
  1. I went to Los Feliz library.
  2. I was looking for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
  3. I saw they had Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me to rent.
  4. Not many books in that library branch.
  5. Nothing doing, apparently unconnectedly I took out a scholarly study of David Lynch.
  6. Skim-read the chapters on Twin Peaks.
  7. Got out Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me.
  8. Put it in the player.
  9. I put it on.
  10. I said in the first ten minutes that it’s one of my favourite films.
  11. I thought, almost immediately, “No it isn’t. I’m doing a disservice to many, many films by saying that. I am betraying my better judgment. I’m being nostalgic and it’s been too long since I watched any good films.”
  12. Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is like Return of the Jedi. The first half hour is great. The Chris Isaak segment is like the scene in Jabba’s court, on the sailbarge. I am even going to put in my search terms, "Chris Isaak Jabba the Hutt" and see how many readers that draws in.  
  13. Continuing the comparison, the scenes with Laura Palmer are like the scenes with the Ewoks.
  14. The Ewoks are however more subtle in their acting. 
  15. Laura Palmer was channeling Chewbacca.
  16. My wife laughed at the badness of the acting in every scene featuring poor Laura Palmer.
  17. I felt defensive and indicted.
  18. I ended up agreeing with her, pummeled by Laura Palmer’s constant shrill shrieking and over-emoting.
  19. Half the mystery is pissed away by prosaic exposition.
  20. I remembered how we lads went into London expressly to see the film.
  21. We saw it again at the University in Canterbury.
  22. I remembered how I bought the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer the morning of the day it came out, in Henley-on-Thames. I read it in a morning.
  23. Wall-ter the American mail artist sent me a mail art piece & told me who killed Laura. 
  24. We rewatched this film in New York in about 2007 and I don't recollect thinking it was bad then.
  25. The question naturally follows, how have I changed between 2007 and 2015––
  26. Were those hard years, or years of good growth?
  27. I met David Lynch twice in New York. He is canny to a fault. He gives nothing away. He cannot be accused of bad manners or ill will to a living soul. But he can cut a man dead with a well-chosen vapidity. 
  28. Laura Palmer reminded me of ––
I have finished with my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment